Sunday, May 28, 2023

Rivers and Path's

I am in the River of Change. Right now the water is deep, a little cold, but relatively calm. I'm in the middle, between the banks and looking this way and that. I do see the current getting a little busier, with maybe even a waterfall ahead. Rapids are approaching. Do I ride the waves or swim to shore? People say, "go with the flow!" like it's some kind of warm, fuzzy thing to do that will bring you enlightenment. They don't tell the truth about the River. When you jump in the river, what is the experience I am looking for? Where do I focus my "floating". In the middle where the water is deep, or by the shore where it is shallow and a little warmer? The idea is that you let the River take you. There is a pool at my local community center. It has a small area they call the River Walk. It is a circle and there is a current. For people looking to improve their fitness they walk against the current, usually in the center of the circle. They have a purpose, a goal and use the river as a tool. There is a predictable pattern of resistance.That resistance creates an environment for improved strength and stamina. What if you just want to "go with the flow"? It's still measurable and consistant flow of water. My experience is that if you choose to go with the flow, you are a victim to the water. It can take you, and do to you whatever it wants. In the community river, I put this to the test. I let go, I floated without resistance. I hit the wall, hard. Bruised my shoulder and knees, and of coarse bumped my head. They weren't serious injuries, but I got the point. I wasn't any stronger for my effort in fact the opposite is true. I was wounded and a little broken. Sometimes we read these "memes". and put far too much energy into them. If you make a decision to jump into a river, or choose a path, do it with intention, purpose and a goal. There is going to be resistance. That is a good thing! Resistance makes us stronger, more aware of the pitfalls, or waterfalls if you will. I think it can make you map a coarse and decide how to navigate obstacles, rapids, trends, and water depth. Path's are different. Usually there is a map already created with all of the obstacles and pitfalls lined out for you. Choosing this way to go through life is predicatble. I didn't choose the predictable path I chose the river. I got wet, I have scars, emotional, physical and spiritual bruises. I bumped into the wall, navigated a couple of waterfalls and life has been an amazing journey. I have loved, the water engulfed me and washed me clean. I have felt excrusiating pain, when I hit the bottom of the falls. I have felt the rediculous joy of giving birth, of raising children, of seeing them succeed. Now my life is changing, I am stepping out of the river and choosing a more predictable path. At any point in time we can change how we do life, and we can change over and over again. Non of us is a victim. Things happen that we can't predict, No matter what path we take, the point is how we deal with it. We always choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment